A Charge Have I by Brian Becker

PRESENTED TO PASTOR JERRY JONES
on the occasion of his 40 years in ministry celebration.
December 10, 1989

The Lord our God has charged you
with the souls of many men.
The Holy Spirit comes upon you
And you speak the message He sends.

You feel our pain and sorrow,
You see the tears we cry;
You tell us ‘worry not, for tomorrow
Will wipe the tears from our eyes.

You’re the man of God, you’re on fire;
In your hand you hold a mighty sword;
You lift us up out of the mire
And set our souls upon the Lord.

To us you’re a chosen warrior,
A defender of the cross –
Preaching the Gospel of the Risen Christ,
And salvation for the lost.

We praise our Heavenly Father
For this preacher so learned and wise;
For he preaches with love, righteousness and truth,
And does battle with the father of lies.

A personal postscript:
I have no idea what ever happened to Brian. He was a struggling child of God when he wrote this. What I do know is that I am humbled by what this young man saw in this preacher. It is still the cry of my heart and my determination, after all these years, to be this…and more…to all who need me. My heart reaches out to the LOST…the LAST…and the LEAST. – For Christ…PASTOR JERRY A. JONES

PARSON TO PERSON MINISTRIES